As a butcher at SPEK & BOONEN, I am passionate about raising pigs without antibiotics. I believe that it is the best way to ensure the health of the pigs, the environment, and human health.
I know that many people are concerned about the use of antibiotics in pork production. They are worried about the development of antibiotic resistance, which is a serious public health problem.
I want to share the truth about antibiotics in pork with you. I want to help you understand why I choose to work with Porc Plein Air and how you can help to make a difference.
What are Antibiotics?
Antibiotics are drugs that are used to treat bacterial infections. They work by killing or stopping the growth of bacteria. Antibiotics are used in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics, and homes.
Antibiotic Use in Pork Production
Antibiotics are used in pork production for a variety of reasons. They are used to treat sick pigs, to prevent the spread of disease, and to promote growth.
The use of antibiotics in industrial pork production is widespread. In the European Union, for example, about 60% of pigs raised for food are given antibiotics.
The Impact of Antibiotic Use in Industrial Pork Production
The overuse of antibiotics in industrial pork production can have a number of negative impacts.
- It can lead to the development of antibiotic resistance. When bacteria are exposed to antibiotics, they can develop resistance to those antibiotics. This means that the antibiotics will no longer be effective in treating infections.
- It can harm the environment. Antibiotics can pollute the environment and they can also harm beneficial bacteria in the soil and water.
- It can harm human health. Antibiotic-resistant bacteria can spread from animals to humans, and they can cause serious infections that are difficult to treat.
Why We Work with Porc Plein Air
Porc Plein Air is a label that guarantees that the pigs have been raised in a sustainable and ethical way. The pigs are raised outdoors, have access to fresh air and sunshine, and are fed a natural diet. They are not given antibiotics or hormones.
We are proud to work with Porc Plein Air because we believe that it is the best way to ensure the health of the pigs, the environment, and human health.
How You Can Help
If you are concerned about the use of antibiotics in pork production, there are a number of things you can do to help.
- Choose pork that is labelled as Porc Plein Air or raised without antibiotics.
- Talk to your butcher about where their pork comes from and how it is raised.
- Support farmers who raise their pigs without antibiotics.
By making these choices, you can help to protect the health of our planet and our own health.
I am proud to be a butcher who works with Porc Plein Air. I believe that it is the best way to ensure the health of the pigs, the environment, and human health. I hope that you will join me in choosing pork that is raised without antibiotics.